Saturday, December 29, 2007

Farewell 2007

There was Farewell today for the Year Twos.

I cried when I was expressing my thanks to them. I hadn't expected myself to actually. It's been a rather long time since I cried (since Pattaya actually) haha. Yeah so I was quite surprised. Was talking gibberish too because I kinda didn't prepare what I wanted to say haha.

I feel that the Farewell this year was quite well planned. Really thoughtful of the current Exco to have made the whole place look so beach-y =P and everything. The decorations were really good too :D The only problem was that we didn't get to play games, but that wasn't the Exco's fault as most of the Year Twos were late. So yeah, Well Done Exco! :D

Mr Kwei started off the Tealight Session with a recap of the whole two years the Year Twos had with him. It was really a walk down memory lane.

The first major event most of the Year Twos attended was really SEAMOE. It was crap, but it allowed us (the Year Ones at that time) to bond quite a lot. The 'Choir Family' was formed during that period. It was rather lame, what with Johnnie as the Father, Wan Ting as the Mother, and Shu Wei, Yu Ting, Yi Zha and I as the children. There were even people who were the butler, gardener and stuff. Haha it was really lame but it helped us to bond :D

Choir BBQ 06 was fun too. I remember the Year Ones all had fun dunking each other. The girls were all wet and we played lotsa spastic games, like Killer Move and Ji Niu Nai. It was really fun :D and it was also then that I started feeling the camaraderie of the choir.

Next was Choir Camp 06. I remember Oliver and Kenny in my group, not sure about the rest sorry =/ Well it was a fun time! And it was then that we started to really improve for our songs. I remember the Musico were very strict with us and small group started at that time. Lotsa groups failed the voice tests and all, but it was our 'never say die' attitude that pulled us through. I remember we were all very tired by the second day of choir camp. Most of us were falling asleep during sectionals in the morning. Haha but looking back now, Choir Camp 06 was really a very good experience :D It taught me the importance of voice tests and small groups (music-wise) and how important it is for us to have a strong spirit and to bond with each other (people-wise).

Due to our preparation for the Riva Del Garda competition, there were many really intensive practices. Much as the practices were tiring, it was fun too, even till now, the Riva Del Garda songs are some of my favourite choir songs of all time. Binnamma, Pamugun, Confite, Ad Dominum, Hear My Prayer; all these are my favourite songs :D I even remember us having practices early in the morning before assembly when it was nearer to the date of the competition. Even though our morning voices all sucked, but those practices helped a lot because we used that time to practice our Gregorian Chant.

Soon, it was Italy time for most of the choir. I'm proud to say that for the people who didn't go with them to Italy, we practised all the way to the end with them, right till the day before they left for Italy. I would have practised with them even if these songs were not SOV songs too, because I feel that it's the practices which help the whole choir to bond.

Italy time was one lonely period for me in Singapore. I remember meeting up with Yi Zha, Francesca and Karen everyday to clean up the choir room. It took us one whole week to clean out the choir room properly! Yeah, but it was then that I got to know Francesca and Yi Zha better too :D

After they returned from Italy (with the Grand Prize, no less :D), it was time for SOV practices. We had approximately one month to learn and perfect 10 more new songs. It was fun singing songs like Rock Around the Clock and Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat because it was fun doing the choreo! Martin was my partner for the couple dance in Rock around and I must say it was really fun dancing with him! SOV was a really fun time and a truly great experience, mainly because we had both impressive and fun songs to showcase, with a lot of choreographed songs :D

After SOV, we had a long break during the June Holidays. So during the one month break, I remember meeting up with many of them for studying sessions at Marine Parade Library. There was also once when we went all the way to Ang Mo Kio library :D There were also studying/swimming/cooking sessions at Dawn's house :D

After the Year One's Midyears, practice resumed for SCO songs, and the DSAs/Appeals joined us soon after. It was cool getting to know the Year Zeros at that time. We had a few really beautiful songs to sing, like 白光.

After SCO, the Year Twos of 2006 left the choir, and it was left to us to improve on our own. I remember we used to suck quite a lot, because the singers in this batch all had very different tones and all. There was once when we restarted a song during a performance! Sinsin I think, during the FamilyTree performance. However, I'm glad to say we all pulled through that sucky period! :D

After that, it was roughly time for End-of-Years, but even then, we were not given the chance to rest. There was the Singapore Idols finals in which we had to sing with the two Singapore Idol finalists, Jonathan and Hady for their 'set piece'. Although many of us were unhappy about having to practise when it was time for us to study, it was still undeniably a great experience. Getting star-struck, camwhoring in the holding room, studying in those little 'cubicle' thingys, chasing stars for photographs, all these are experiences that can never be found elsewhere. And for that, I'm glad to say I had a chance to attend this Singapore Idols performance, even if it meant sacrificing some of our studying time.

After End-of-Years, it was practise time again. This time, it was for carols, SYF songs, and Les Miserables songs. This period of time was really the crucial period of time in which the entire batch managed to improve together significantly.

Les Miserables was an amazing experience. I still remember the pride and joy I felt when we were performing that musical. It made all the time and effort spent into practising for the Musical worth it. It was really tiring and stressful preparing for the Musical because I remember we had full day practices almost everyday. Much as those practices were irritating and tiring at that time, it was all worth it in the end :D Thanks must go especially to Debbie, Oliver and Shixuan for making this happen. Debbie especially, she really did a terrific job for this musical :D

After a day of rest, it was off to Malacca for us! Malacca was really fun and relaxing. It felt great to be going off with the choir people just to relax and not for a competition. Most of the time was just spent relaxing, and chilling out at each other's apartments. I remember we kept buying Secret Recipe cakes too because they were just SO CHEAP! Malacca also helped many of us bond with each other :D

After Malacca, it was time for carols! I don't remember much of caroling practices, but we had quite a lot of Marina Square sessions before, so hotel caroling wasn't so bad. I remember going out a lot with the Year Ones and Year Zeros at that time too. We used to see each other almost everyday, because we'd go out on the days when there were no choir practices! Well those were great experiences :D

New Year's Eve/Day last year was also a memorable one for me. A lot of Year Zeros and Year Ones gathered at Dawn's house for a stayover to countdown to the new year. It was super cool, I remember we threw open the windows and sang Joy to the World at the stroke of Midnight haha :D The planning of the trail for Yu Ting's birthday suprise was a fun one too :D

School reopened after that and the Year Ones officially became Year Twos! Haha, we spent quite a lot of time preparing for SYF and also for SOV. SYF was one stressful period because it fell down to the Year Twos to make sure the choir will maintain its standard. I know it was really stressful for everyone, and practices were intensive too (though not as intensive as the Italy practices). I remember being stressed about it with the Year Twos, wondering if we would actually be the batch to cause the choir to fall. I'm glad we did well in the end :D Thank you so much to the Year Twos who bothered to take time out to give voice lessons to the Year Ones :D

SOV 07 was rather rushed too, we even got terribly scolded just one or two days before the concert itself=/ Oh well I'm glad our concert was still a success :) Oh and I must say, the Senior Exco did a great job of planning the outfits for the second half. The choir looked really cool on stage, and it was all due to the careful guidelines set by the Senior Exco so thanks so much for the great job. :D

Choir camp and choir BBQ 07 were not as memorable in my opinion, probably due to the fact that I wasn't a junior anymore, so I don't feel the same sense of wonder that I did during my early days in VJchoir. Well, they were still enjoyable though :)

After SOV, many of the Year Twos didn't join us for Pattaya. That was rather saddening though, but I really wanna thank the Year Twos who actually bothered to join us for Pattaya. Thank you all so much for your dedication and commitment to the choir :D

Well, that's most of the 'official' events that the Year Twos have enjoyed together. It's a long list =/ And well, now that VJchoir life is coming to an end for them, I want to take this chance to thank each and everyone of them for having been such wonderful batch mates. Even though I am younger than them, I still believe that we are all of the same batch, after all, we've all been through the same events. So yeah, the past two years were really great with all of you. Thank you all for having shown me what it means to be in VJchoir, and allowing me to experience the feeling of being in a big bonded family. Thank you Year Twos for everything. These two years have made me into a stronger and more mature person (both voice-wise and character-wise) and that can not be possible without all of you there for me. So once again, thank you all so much. :D I'll really miss all of you, so please do come back to visit. Thank you all so much once again for the memorable times the past two years, these are memories that will stay with me forever.




Many thanks especially to The Usual People, thanks for putting up with all my nonsense the past two years. It must not have been easy to put up with such a wilful 15/16 yearold, so thanks so much for all your patience :D You all have taught me a lot, and I have grown and learnt much from all of you, so thank you all :D I'll really miss you guys a lot, so please do come back okay? Do remember to plan more outings too okay? Thank you all for the memorable outings, I'll never forget them. Love you all my dears :D


Sorry you're not in the pic WEE BABA. Haha Couldn't find one with everyone inside, so this is the next best alternative. You're still loved though :D

No comments: